In 2012, the blueprint that shapes the Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination (PTCE) was updated, prompting a comprehensive overhaul of the Pharmacy Technician Certification Quick-Study Guide. The completely revised 4th edition thoroughly covers all PTCE content domains, and it conveys what technicians need to know in a concise outline format.
• Thirteen new chapters reviewing important medical terminology; commonly used medications, herbals, and dietary supplements; laws and regulations; compounding; and the medication order entry and fill process.
• Six chapters with simple, tried-and-true explanations of mathematical concepts, pharmaceutical systems of measurement, dosage calculations, concentrations, and pharmacy business calculations.
• Sample questions at the end of each chapter reinforcing important concepts and knowledge, plus 125 practice questions on PTCE content and pharmaceutical calculations. The multiple-choice test questions are presented in the same format as PTCE questions.
• Answer key with step-by-step instructions for mathematical calculations.
• Two appendices illustrating updates in the PTCE knowledge domains and the chapters covering specific exam content.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Section I. Pharmacology for Technicians
Chapter 1. Medication Terminology
Chapter 2. Commonly Used Medications, Herbals, and Dietary Supplements
Section II. Pharmacy Law and Regulations
Chapter 3. Law and Regulation in Pharmacy Practice
Chapter 4. Risk Management and Restricted Drug Programs
Section III. Medication Order Entry and Fill Process
Chapter 5. Pharmacy Computer and Patient Information Systems
Chapter 6. Receiving Prescriptions and Medication Orders
Chapter 7. Processing Prescriptions and Medication Orders
Chapter 8. Third-Party Billing Systems and Reimbursement
Section IV. Pharmacy Compounding
Chapter 9. Nonsterile Compounding
Chapter 10. Sterile Compounding
Section V. Medication Safety and Pharmacy Quality Assurance
Chapter 11. Avoiding Medication Errors to Improve Patient Safety
Chapter 12. Pharmacy Quality Assurance
Section VI.Pharmacy Inventory Management
Chapter 13. Inventory Management, Storage, Returns, and Disposal
Section VII. Pharmaceutical Calculations
Chapter 14. Fractions, Decimals, and Roman Numerals
Chapter 15. Calculating Percentage and Ratio Strength
Chapter 16. Pharmaceutical Systems of Measurement
Chapter 17. Dosage Calculations
Chapter 18. Concentrations
Chapter 19. Pharmacy Business Calculations
Section VIII. Cumulative Practice Knowledge and Calculation Questions
Chapter 20. Practice Questions
Appendix A. Updated Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) Blueprint Domains
Appendix B. Content Tested in Updated Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE)