"Overall, I was impressed with the examples provided of e-mails to residency program directors for requests for information as well as letters of intent. Many 'Sidebars' can be used as guides on their own, particularly the various lists of questions. From the faculty perspective, this text may be useful to supplement mentorship of students looking to attain residency."
--Nicole M. Gattas, PharmD
St. Louis College of Pharmacy, St. Louis, Missouri
American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education Volume 78, Number 2
"This will make a nice addition to any pharmacy school's library to help students in their residency journey. It includes good information to help students become more competitive and seek the residency that is best for them by helping them ask the right questions."
--Kim W. Benner, BS, PharmD
Samford University McWhorter School of Pharmacy
"The conversational writing style plus the sidebars with insights from residents and directors make this an easily accessible guidebook for busy pharmacy students juggling school and the pursuit of postgraduate training."
Albany College of pharmacy and Health Sciences
CHOICE November 2013 Vol.51 No.03
Doody's Score 94 - 4 Stars!
Getting Started in a Pharmacy Residency is designed to provide student pharmacists with concise, insightful information about postgraduate residency options; helpful advice about applying for residency positions; interviewing techniques; and information on preparing a curriculum vitae. Information on postgraduate industry fellowships is also provided.
• Concise information about a wide variety of postgraduate training options.
• Information on preparing the residency application, including sample curriculum vitae and letters.
• Tips for researching and connecting with residency programs.
• Interviewing techniques, including sample questions.
• Discussion of the match and the post-match "scramble."
• Interviews with former pharmacy residents and industry fellows.
Table of Contents
• Differentiating between Postgraduate Training Options: Focus on Residencies
• Setting the Foundation for a Residency Position
• Researching Residency Programs
• Preparing Your Curriculum Vitae
• Connecting with Residency Programs
• Preparing Your Residency Application
• The Residency Interview
• The Match
• The Basics of Pharmaceutical Industry Fellowships: Why a Fellowship Might Be Right for You
• Midyear Clinical Showcase Checklist
• Residency Application Checklist
• Interview Preparation Checklist