Now in its 3rd edition, this succinct, easy-to-use, current, and very functional handbook goes through the steps of receiving the prescription, preparing it, and completing the compound. The book provides a source for contemporary practice, comprising information previously found spread out in journal articles, legal documents, standards of practice, specialty books, and textbooks.
Highlights of this edition include a more comprehensive section on sterile dosage forms and their preparation, expanded discussion of medication errors, helpful processing tools for improving compounded preparations and reducing errors, a new chapter on systems of measurement and basic pharmaceutical calculations, and a new section on veterinary pharmacy practice. Patient cases with the sample compounded prescription orders and parenteral preparation medication orders show typical situations and problem-solving strategies to meet special therapy and patient needs.
A back-of-book CD-ROM includes study guides, interactive self-assessment, and multimedia demonstrations of compounding procedures for key chapters. A companion website offers the CD content, full text online, and an image bank.
• Highlight color added to heighten book's visual appeal.
• More added features on back-of-book CD-ROM.
• Separate and more comprehensive section (Part 6, “Sterile Dosage Forms and Their Preparation,” comprising Chapters 32–35) on sterile dosage forms and their preparation, with emphasis on new standards and processes in Part 3, “Pharmaceutical Compounding—Sterile Preparations.”
• Expanded discussion of medication errors, along with prescribing and dispensing practices that have been shown to improve patient medication safety.
• Helpful processing tools such as master control and compounding records, standard operating procedures, and quality control tests that are now standards of practice because they can improve compounded preparations and reduce errors.
• Additional chapter (Chapter 7) containing instruction on proper use of metric (SI) symbols and units of measurement, temperature and density conversions, use of significant figures, and basic methods for pharmaceutical calculations.
• Patient cases with the sample compounded prescription orders and parenteral preparation medication orders to show typical situations and problem-solving strategies to meet special therapy and patient needs.
• Additional section (Part 7) on veterinary pharmacy practice, an important specialty area.
• Outline format for ease in finding important information.