"The chapter sequencing is intuitive and the index thorough, providing useful pointers to the figures and tables scattered throughout."
—CHOICE, January 2011; 48 (5)
In this book, the author draws on her experience as a student, resident, hospital and community pharmacist, preceptor, supervisor, and volunteer to guide new pharmacists through actions, behaviors, and decisions that lead to a successful career.
In addition to her own lessons learned, Askew shares the perspectives of other pharmacists, while covering key topics in the transition from student to pharmacist: obtaining board licensure, choosing a career path, preparing résumés, interviewing, handling job offers, fitting into the workplace, and achieving personal and professional success.
• Guidance on gaining board licensure; narrowing down career options; preparing high-quality résumés, CVs, and portfolios; acing the job interview; thriving in the workplace; and achieving success is provided for new pharmacists.
• Numerous suggested readings and resources direct readers to in-depth information on every topic.
• "Day in the life" scenarios give readers a taste of various pharmacy careers.
• Sample documents, tables, and figures help make concepts concrete.
Table of Contents
• Introduction: The Route Ahead
• Board Licensure
• Choosing a Career Path
• Preparing Your Résumé, CV, and Portfolio
• The Interview
• Handling the Job Offer
• Adjusting to the Workplace
• Taking Charge of Your Career and Honing Your Skills
• Maintaining Your Personal Life
• Maintaining Your Professional Life
• Appendix. Pharmacy Organizations